HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:35:47 +0800
Hi All

When roaming around Texas I stumbled onto Oliver Loving's 1850s ranch house
site. The place associated with the real story that Lonesome Dove was based
on. The place was in the Loving family then passed onto a church before
being brought by the present owner. It appears to be an intact
archaeological site having escaped most development and later living
development.

The owner is well aware of the piece of history in his backyard and wants to
protect it and interpret it (is talking about a museum). Unfortunately he
has started doing this by carrying out small digs for artefacts. However he
would welcome proper archaeological help (as long as the artefacts are not
taken from his long term ownership - I am not sure what the legal situation
with that is in America but the site is on private land).

I promised him I would ask the American archaeological community to see if
the site fit in with anyone's research interests or any universities
teaching interests (such as summer schools). He appears to be very keen to
do the right thing by the site, he has even written his will so the place
cannot be sold to developers.

Cheers Gaye