HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clarke Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 08:00:11 -0700
I would submit that you do an injustice to describe the "artist," as a mere
story teller.  Artists of any kind deal in truth, scientistists deal in facts.
We glean truth from facts.  The quest for truth is not the province of the
"scientist."  When he goes beyond his facts to mine a "truth," he becomes a
poet, a cosmologist, a theologian, a philosopher, or perhaps an historian; in
short, an artist.

Einstein spoke of the "hand of God when he discussed relativity."  Was that
scientific?  Or was it a poetic, or a theological, etc., expression of the
truth he found buried in "facts" of his formulations and calculations.

Passion, love, hope, despair; where do these fit into the scientific process
beyond dismissing them as hormonal responses.  There has always been more to
the human condition than mere scientific fact.  If not, why should
archaeologists even bother.  The value of an old piece of rusting metal is
nothing until it is viewed through the prism of the humanity that formed it and
thereby gave it meaning to us.

Give the "artist" the facts, so that we may discover the truth.

Clarke Harrison