HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 04:14:58 EDT
I suppose some of the coins we get in "circulation" reflect the historical
context in which we live. I recall as a young kid getting Japanese 20-yen
copper  coins that people would use in the apartment washing machines instead of
quarters. My family was always ticked off at the financial loss, but I thought
the coins were a treasure. the thicker Mexican 20-centavo coins sometimes
fooled  the dryers. Somewhere in my things, I have paper script from Occupied
Japan and  other countries we no longer occupy. I say these are a sign of the
times, as  Mexico no longer uses the centavo monetary unit and the script is a
thing of the  past. I expect there were a lot of 1940s European coins that came
back with the  troops after World War II that will find their way into
archaeological sites. As  well, we should expect coinage to reflect Viet Nam, Kuwait,
and Iraq.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.