HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nichole Doub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:24:50 -0400
Hello Tim,

It is highly inadvisable to use industrial products on archaeological ceramics.  Because of their relatively high porosity, even with high fired ceramics, the chemicals used are very difficult to removed and can either cause salt fluorescence, staining further down the line, and disintegration of glazes and pigments.  Under no circumstance should acid be applied to a ceramic object as the reaction can be difficult to neutralize and the damage irreversible.  If you are considering de-staining, please contact an archaeological conservator.  The Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory uses a sodium dithionite method, but I wouldn't recommend carrying out this procedure on your own due to the health and safety concerns.  If you would like some additional advice, a quote for service,  or would like to be put in contact with a conservator in your area, please contact me at the number below.

Regards,

Nichole Doub
Head Conservator
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
10515 Mackall Road
Saint Leonard, MD 20657
410-586-8577