HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:41:55 -0500
We find river mussels on prehistoric sites in South Carolina regularly, but I don't recall seeing them on historic sites. FWIW, its common knowledge here that river mussels are not "good to eat" and nobody that I know of eats them. Whether that's true or not I don't know. When I was a kid my older brother told me he had tried one and emphatically said that it was "nasty", so I've never tried one.

Occasionally mussels get mixed in with oysters (in brackish waters) and those are quite tasty. Generally we eat oysters steamed just enough to open the shell, so maybe cooking them is the problem.

Carl Steen