HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:49:18 -0500
http://www.google.com/patents?id=mf8dAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=RE3070#PPP2,M1

"Be it known that Newman Silverthorn ... has invented ... a tip applicable to boots and shoes, for the protection of the toe part of the same ...

In boots and shoes, particularly those designed for children's wear, and for the wear of farm-laborers or other persons whose occupation requires them often to walk over soil growing certain grasses whose blades are stiff and cutting, as those of most of the western prairies, it has been found necessary to protect the toe portion of the boot or shoe by means of a tip, made of leather, metal, india-rubber, or other substance ..." [emphasis added]