HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:01:28 -0400
You don't think it could be a "cone top" style closure from a large tin or can, perhaps even one with sides made of tinned cardboard? It is hard to tell by looking at the photos, but what makes you think that it would point inward if affixed to the end of a can?

Here is an example from a metal can, but given the shape and decay around the edges:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130728468046

I wonder if you may not have an exterior friction lid with a cork-style plug closure in a pouring cone, all part of a tinned or waxed cardboard can, meant to hold bulk powder, like scouring powder?

Cheers,
Tim