HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brian Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:02:31 -0500
Phil Levy is upset with local antiquities dealers.  The situation is much
worse than he describes.

I don't have it with me, so I can't cite chapter and verse, but a recent
(November or December) American Anthropological Association newsletter
included a letter notifying its readers that the Arts and Antiques section
under the Auction file at Amazon.com offers broad new marketing
opportunities to antiquities dealers.

It also drew attention to the direct links between the page for a given
book
and the relevant antiquities being sold from the Auction file.  I checked
it
out a month or two ago, and found that the page for Tatiana
Proskouriakoff's
book on Mayan architecture then included direct links to (presumably
illegal)
Mayan antiquities up for sale.

This situation seems to have changed a bit.  As of this morning, the same
page for
the book on Mayan architecture only provides direct links to other books
(recent and rare), but not to any antiquities.  However, antiquities from
all
over the world are for sale at Amazon.com's Auction file.  Go take a look.

Not all on-line book sellers abet the antiquities trade.

Brian Siegel