HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Efstathios I. Pappas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:55:15 -0500
I am a particular fan of the works by Cronon, Marx, and Stilgoe which
have been already mentioned and would add that the idea of stewardship
of the landscape in order to render it productive is an important part
of American history and expansion. Not only could wilderness stand for
irrationality and fear as Stilgoe holds, but he also notes it is
counter to a producer ethos which values a "middle landscape" of
improved, constantly worked land. Blanton similarly notes that "a
mindset among these colonists (was) that it was their rightful place,
even duty, to make the Virginia environment a productive one, which in
their view usually meant imposing an English model" (Rockman and Steele
2003: 191). This idea of a proper aesthetic associated with cultural
values of improvement can also be juxtaposed with the study of
dereliction and revitalization of which Jakle or Hofer would be notable
authors. As an industrial archaeologist I have found these sources to
be important for studying the modern post-industrial landscape in North
America. I am in the process of putting together a session for the SHAs
this year focusing on landscapes of labor and phenomenological
approaches (Tilley 1994) for understanding the goals, values, and
identities of different participants within these contested landscapes.
If anyone is interested in talking more about this please email me
personally.

 Regards,

 Stathi Pappas

 Efstathios I. Pappas, MS