HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Keeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:22:56 -0800
Adrian,

I have some slides of the synagogue and cemetery in Bridgetown, Barbados.  Also, some from Jodensavanne in Suriname.  Would these be of any interest?  They stem from some research  I did there on sephardic tombstone iconography and inscriptions.

Best wishes,

Bob Keeler

>>> Praetzellis <[log in to unmask]> 01/23/00 05:39PM >>>
HISTARCHers,

In my other life, I'm a member of the Adult Education Committee at
Congregation Shomrei Torah -- a synagogue in Santa Rosa, California.
Recently, while delirious with the flu, our rabbi asked me to do a
presentation on *something to do with Jews and archaeology.* Thus was born
the idea of  *The Archaeology of Jews in North America and the Caribbean,*
a lecture/slide show due to premiere in March.

Several colleagues have generously offered slides of their research: Skip
S-Abernathy in Arkansas, Becky Yamin on Five Points NY, and Michelle
Terrell on the disappearing synagogue of Nevis. In addition, I have a site
in Sacramento that will fit in nicely. However, there's room for a couple
more examples in the presentation.

So, if you know of an archaeological site in North America with:
-  strong Jewish associations,
-  an interesting story that will appeal to the general public,
-  and, above all, GOOD VISUALS,
please let me know.

Thanks to all,

Adrian Praetzellis