HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:13:48 +1000
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Hoffman kilns

Aparently the Victorian State Governement is about to approve thew demolition
of two c1890's Hoffman kilns (the kilns are to Hoffman's 1870 pattent and are
oval in shape). The site the former Hoffman Brick and Pottery site was
researched by me and is published in Industrial Archaeology Review and
Australian Historical Archaeology.

I have been asked by some concerned individuals how many 1890's Hoffman kilns
still survive in Victoria, Australia, South of the Equator and in the world.
My guess is that there are none apart from these two of that era in Australia,
none in New Zealand (actually I am guessing this) and I would be interested to
hear of examples of Hoffman kilns from around the world particularlly those
from the 1890's or earlier. As histarch has lots of members from around the
globe I hope I will recieve some interesting answers which I will post in a
few weeks.

Iain Stuart
University of Sydney