HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 07:54:14 PDT
During Phase I surveys, our CRM firm often encounters cemeteries with
 gravestones and markers of various styles and shapes. We usually record
grave markers with photographs, sketches and then copy any inscriptions. Is
anyone aware of standardized  terminology and definitions with regard to
grave marker descriptions ?  Any references would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanks
Hank McKelway

I read one of the newsletters of Chicora Foundation yesterday that dealt with this very issue.  I also got a phone call from a man interested in recording a cemetery in his county.  I referred him to the Kentucky Historical Society whose library has many cemetery references; I thought they would have some protocols to follow.