HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jakob crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:37:15 -0400
Hello everyone,

I recently recovered a bottle from excavations in Columbia, SC, but
can't seem to identify the bottle type beyond "likely condiment."

Photographs of the bottle are available at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14689007@N02/

The maker's mark on the base of the bottle is CHARLES GULDEN / NEW
YORK.  I thought, given the distinctive shape of the bottle, that
Gulden (or someone at his company) might have patented the design.  A
search using google's patent database yielded multiple mustard bottles
(as expected), but nothing with this shape.

The bottle is 5 3/8-inches (13.7cm) long, has a 1-inch (2.5cm) neck
dia., the finish is tooled, and appears to be a cup-bottom mold.
Recovery context was a trash-pit associated with a small lunch-counter
on an urban house-lot.  Feature creation can be firmly dated to 1909.

Any suggestions or references you might have would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Jake

--
Jakob Crockett