HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay Kotliar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 13:46:50 -0400
 The original post was just a general request for information on craft
production particularly with respect to part-time/full-time issues.  With
your (Matt Emerson) research I would be interested in the role of part-time
craftsfolk (part-time farmers), the interplay between local manufacture and
distribution systems (particularly non-market ones) and (1) the larger
economy, (2) industrial production of crafts  (3) the relationship between
the plantation economy and market economies both local and non-local.  I am a
prehistorian but am interested in (1) how variosu issues of craft production
play out under different conditions, technologies and pressures  (2) how
different types of archaeologists with different types of data confront
issues of craft production, particularly  non-industrial craft production.
       I so far have a collection of 30+ replies from various lists, most are
brief with references that will help me compile a bibliography on the
subject.  Some let me know some  particular research in process so I have a
feel for the work going on in various areas.  There has been much discussion
of a theoretical or methodlogical nature but I welcome and encourage that as
well as references and general comments.