HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dane T. Magoon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:52:58 -0500
Hello HistArchers:

As a spin-off question, James Gibb noted the presence of a clay tobacco pipe
within an African burial.  I remember at least one clay pipe recovered from
similar slave contexts at Utopia (Williamsburg, VA) a couple of years back
(project directed by Garrett Fesler).  The pipe had been placed carefully in
one of the hands, with the stem extending along the forearm.  Handler has
also reported the recovery of a tobacco pipe from a slave burial in
Barbados.

Is this a common practice in African and African-American burials, or am I
just familiar with a few chance occurrences of this?  Also, has the recovery
of tobacco pipes been noted for European colonial burials as well?  As a
historical archaeologist who has "hopped the fence" into bioarchaeology, I
find such things very interesting.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Dane Magoon
(Graduate Student)