HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 18:34:14 +1000
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               SOPA

I echo Susan Lawrence's comments that here is nothing in this for non-American
archaeologists. I would have thought that the gradual adoption of quality
standards like ISO 90001 would be the way to ensure the broad level of quality
in archaeology.

In Australia the basic standard for cultural heritage work (which includes
archaeology) in the ICOMOS Charter for the Conservation of Places of Cultural
Significance. In Australia at least ICOMOS is a professional organisaton which
has the benifit of drawing members from a broad range of disciplines which
goes some way towards destroying the isolation that our disciplinary name tags
seems to encourage.

I would have thought that SHA's time would be better spent on publishing an
interesting journal rather than trying to become part of a big conglomerate
with colleuges who usually dismiss historical archaeology. Isnt this why SHA
was formed in the first place?