HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kate and Silas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:58:04 +0000
Binford worked out the regression formula based on Harrrigton's measurements.

We measure pipes in 64ths and .2 mm increments - Garry Stone developed the metric measuring system to get greater detail (roughly equivalent to 128 ths inch but the drill bits are easier to get. I like the .2 mm measures and then plot the histogram - it flattens the graph and shows variation better. For a site that was occcupied, abandoned, and re-occupied Binford can give you a mean date during the hiatus.

Silas Hurry
Historic St. Mary's City

From: geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>