HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol A Nickolai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:48:42 -0400
Regarding the labeling of artifacts, one problem I could see with the
avery labels would be their size. The space available on the artifact
could be very small and not necessarily flat, while something like a bar
code would need a standard size flat surface to be scanned. The labels
would also not stick to every surface.

Also, instead of using clear nail polish, clear Soluvar brand varnish is
good. Over time nail polish does begin to flake off, the Soluvar won't
damage artifacts and won't flake off. It can also be easily removed with
naptha or a similar solvent. I think that a base coat of Soluvar,
permanent ink (I've used Staedtler pens), and a top coat of Soluvar, is
what's currently recommended by the American Association of Museums.

Hope this helps.

Carol A. Nickolai

(215) 546-3730
2210 Kater St.