HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martha Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:00:58 -0500
This virus is a hoax. See below for information from teh Stiller Resaerch web
site. I've also listed in my signature several web sites to check for hoaxes
before mailing out hoax information.

<<The 'How to Give a Cat A Colonic' Virus Hoax
This is another hoax in the long line of 'avoid this file or email with some
particular title'. Such a warning would be silly to forward but hoaxes like
this continue to be circulated.... We can't list all such hoaxes here but
this hoax is spreading rather widely. Here is the most common version:

        Don't want anyone hit if this is for real.  Judi

        Subject: Warning......

        If you receive an e-mail entitled, "How to Give a
        Cat a Colonic," DO NOT open it. It will erase
        everything on your hard drive.

        Forward this letter out to as many people as you
        can.

        This is a new, very malicious virus and not many
        people know about it

        This information was announced yesterday morning
        from IBM.

        Please share it with everyone that might access the
        Internet. Once again, pass this along to EVERYONE in
        your address book so that this may be stopped.  AOL
        has said that this is a very dangerous virus and
        that there is NO remedy for it at this time.  Please
        practice cautionary measures and forward this to all
        your online friends ASAP

We frequently see a number of bogus authorities cited in these virus hoaxes.
But I always chuckle when AOL is listed as an authority. Does anyone
seriously expect to consult AOL on new viruses? (!)
The above hoax (like many similar hoaxes) suggests you warn people about this
virus because it's new and not many people know about it. This, itself, is a
silly concept. We get hundreds of new viruses each month (most of them
potentially destructive in some way), and it would be pointless to issue a
warning about each such virus. (There are thousands of viruses that not many
people know anything about and it would certainly be a crazy effort to try to
warn all your friends about each of these viruses.) >>

Martha Decker
Additional email address:
ICQ# 49054432
Yahoo: galcop1602
My webpage and some favorites:
<A HREF="http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/">Urban Legends and Folklore - Home
Page</A>
<A HREF="http://www.symantec.com/us.index.html">Symantec's United States
Homepage</A>
<A HREF="http://www.stiller.com/hoaxa.htm">Stiller Research Virus Alphabetic
Hoax List</A>
<A HREF="http://www.stopnetabusers.org/">Stop Net Abusers Home Page</A>
<A HREF="http://www.prairieghosts.com/">GHOSTS OF THE PRAIRIE: American
Ghosts and Hauntings</A>
<A HREF="http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/billsrch/legrpts/eff0901.htm">New
Texas Laws</A>
<A HREF="http://www.militia-watchdog.org/index.htp">The Militia Watchdog</A>
BE NOSY .TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. TAKE NO CHANCES