HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:15:45 -0500
I'm estranged from sites I work on, they are so poltical and since "fishing
expeditions" I find out about, i.e., clients invest a bit to see what wall
they might have to jump over in cultural resources, I have trouble with even
gettin a copy of what I submitted, and in fact have no idea a "kill two
birds and get stoned" scenario perhaps. Though I did clear up with Mr.
Gable, historian of Roosevelt family, that the property was not known to be
significantly part of their history. However the block had the Quaker Mayor
of NYC once living on it and other what I think might be significant
history, the first ferry to Brooklyn in the 17th century. Although two
blocks from the river, the orginal waterline was there and the "marshal" of
New Amsterdam, a Mr. Treux near Bestevaers Cripplebush, a swamp never
granted ownership by the Dutch, however it is where the other branch of
Roosevelt family made its fortune, in leather processing, the tanning and
processing of leather, held in patent in the 17th century in the vicinity of
Exchange Place, later US offices of the Pinketon Agency. More money it was
said was made in that vicinity than any where else in the city for many
years as it turned into a leather sales district and sent cobblers into the
various countrysides, shoeing the population, I read by travelling cobblers,
whose awls mended men's soles.

George Myers