HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"John P. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 20:55:00 PDT
The area of theortical development that I currently find most
compelling is concerned with consumer behavior (i.e.processes
of choice) and its role in creating/maintaining complex social
identities. Admittedly this area of theory is not strictly
archaeological, but it has great promise for archaeologists.

In this I include the works such as Pieire Bourdieu (1984,
_Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste_.
Harvard U. Press, Cambridge), Daniel Miller (1987, _Material
Culture and Mass Consumption_. Blackwell, New York), and Grant
McCracken (1990, _Culture and Consumption: New Approaches to
the Sybolic Character of Consumer Goods and Activites_. Indiana
University Press, Bloomington).

It is particularly interesting that this theme is also "hot"
among certain historians.  See Ann Smart Martin's 1993 article
in _Winterthur Portfolio_ (28(2/3):141-57) "Makers, Buyers, and
Users: Consumerism as a Material Culture Framework" for a very
insightful review of the literature. She takes the position
that "consumerism" can be the central theory for material
culture research.

John P. McCarthy
Senior Archaeologist/Historian
Institute for Minnesota Archaeology/