HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:36:55 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Sarah,

There are a lot of things to think about when getting kids involved in a project and that is just the archaeology there is much more when developing the educational goals.  Contact me off list and I can get you some resources and web links regarding public archaeology.  Sarah Miller from FPAN and I did a workshop on this a couple of years ago at SHA, we could pull some that info together for you.  

Jay

M. Jay Stottman
Staff Archaeologist
Kentucky Archaeological Survey
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Youth archaeology programs

Histarchers,

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me out. The community partners I am working with on a project here really want to get a summer youth program going for kids to get more involved in archaeology. I think we can mobilize resources to make it work, but I need more ideas of how to structure this type of program. I am wondering if any of you have experiences you could share of anything similar. This would be something more than just a one day session, so I'm hoping that some of you might have done week long (or longer) programs you could discuss. There seem to be a couple of different routes that we could go down to structure a program, so I would really like to hear about other experiences and get some ideas of what might be most successful in terms of the types of activities, ages of kids involved, structure of the day, staffing etc.

Please feel free to contact me off list about this: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Thanks so much,
Sarah Croucher

Sarah Croucher

Assistant Professor
Wesleyan University
Anthropology Department
281 High Street
Middletown, CT 06459
USA

Telephone: 860-685-4489
http://scroucher.faculty.wesleyan.edu/
http://beman-triangle.research.wesleyan.edu/