HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. Jay Stottman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:10:13 -0700
I have been following the SOPA-ROPA "debate" for a while and I have a few
comments that really have not been expressed to date.  Why do we need SOPA
anyway?  I agree with its goals and generally think that it has good intentions.

 But I have seen the negative effects of an organization like SOPA.  I think
that SOPA gets abused by those who feel insecure with their abilities or who
feel the need to put initials next to their name as some kind of verification.
SOPA is being used as a shield for poor archaeology in some cases.  Anybody with

a masters or above can be SOPA certified regardless of the quality of their
work.  Anybody can be certified in Historical Archaeology, as long as they have
some connection to a historical archaeology project, it is irrelevant whether
that person knows anything about it.  The way that SOPA, soon to be ROPA, is
set-up discourages grievances or periodic quality control.  Apparently,
"professional" means give us money and you get our stamp of approval.  This
follows the trend of organizations in many fields and occupations that have no
quality control, but use their organization for verification of professionalism.

 I know that there are standards that must be met to be a member of SOPA, but I
have seen some who have slipped between the cracks.  The standards are not
stringent enough to ensure quality.  There should be periodic reviews of members

to ensure that people are up to date on current methods, theory, and
specialties.  There should be specific certifications for specialties, that have

rigorous standards.  The organization should not be a once your in, your in for
life kind of deal.  When someone puts those initials next to their name, it
should really mean something.  If we are to have a professional organization, it

should have teeth.  People should know that it means the highest quality of
professional archaeologist.  Anything less is damaging to that organization and
the field of archaeology.  It provides a place for those who are not up to
snuff, to hide and gain credibility.  We would be better off with no
professional organization, the way things are now.

As things stand now, SOPA nor ROPA does not ensure the quality of its members
and I want no part of it.  While most members of the organization are
professional archaeologists in the true sense of the word, there are some,
perhaps many, who prefer to take the easy way to verification by putting those
initials next to their name.  Those who do that only damage the names of those
who deservingly put those initials next to their name.  Archaeologists should be

judged on the quality of their work on an individual basis, not on whether they
have SOPA or ROPA next to their name.

M. Jay Stottman