HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:45:28 -0400
We are looking for information about the layout and processing of offal in small scale stand-alone?processing plants that were in operation in the western US during the 1920s and 1930s.? Questions we are trying to answer:

did they use cement slabs to wash the offal?? Was it dried on the slabs or on drying racks (wood?)?? Was there any large machinery involved in the processing or was it primarily hand work?? WAs it cooked or boiled?? If so, as it cooked at the slaughterhouse or at the offal plant?? What products were made from the offal?? How important were the offal products to the successful operation of the slaughterhouse?

We have foundation remains (including a series of concrete tanks with drains), lots of cooked faunal bones small in size, and oral interview data.? We haven't had a lot of luck doing internet searches on historic offal plants.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Mary Maniery/Rick Morris
PAR Environmental Services, Inc.