HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:13:43 -0500
I suppose that represents a good conservationist ethic and is a good move
toward limiting the antiquities trade. But I don't think the rule
meaningfully applies to a metal detector who destroys the ground's
stratigraphy and an object's context even if he/she then leaves the object
behind. The object itself is not the whole game.

Phil