HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:13:37 +0800
I keep seeing messages like this one of interesting conferences and
symposiums I can't attend. Perth is a looong way from the rest of the world.
However, I have just taken part in a heritage conference conducted over the
net. It was organised by ICMOS and was surposed to be Australia wide but in
the end we had people from Canade, America, UK, Africa and Jamacia hooked as
well. There is no way that all those people would have been able to get
together at a normal conference. Another benifit was that I got called away
to an emergency job halfway through but still missed nothing as it was all
on my computer when I came back.

It was a great idea and as I was busy putting in my two bobs worth it
occurred to me that the format could be adapted to the usual archaeological
conference. Selected people could write and post articles on the conference
web page then we could have a chat line open for a couple of days so that
everyone else could read the articles and have time to think of really good
questions. It would also have the advantage that the person answering the
questions does not have to think on their feet and would have the time to
provide fuller answers. What do you think?