HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Gibb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:50:55 -0400
I disagree with Ned Heite in one respect: taverns accommodated travelers and, in doing so, attracted local folk seeking business deals and news. I qualify this disagreement: there was a great deal of variability among inns, taverns, ordinaries, coffee houses and such, depending on location, nature of the local market, local customs, availability of other places for informal and formal gatherings, and the efforts of individual keepers or publicans as entrepreneurs.

James Boswell's autobiography during his time in London and Samuel Pepys' vivid descriptions of his meetings in public places provide some of the flavor of diversity among London's public houses. Peter Thompson's (1999) Rum Punch and Revolution: Taverngoing and Public Life in Eighteenth-Century Philadelphia (University of Pennsylvania Press) offers a wonderful perspective on the politically vibrant political culture of Philadelphia watering holes.

I think we should use the existing terminology, but qualify what we mean in applying a particular term to a specific site. The label shouldn't mask the distinctiveness of the site, and we may construct new definitions of old terms through empirical studies of individual studies.

Jim Gibb
Annapolis, Maryland  USA