HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:39:11 -0500
It's extremely unlikely to be Australian-made.

Without going into the details of the dynamics British pottery exports into Australia*, all 19th-century whitewares in Australia that I know of are British-made, from the high end of the market down to the low end.   As the iconic excavations at the pottery of James King of Irrawang demonstrated, there certainly were attempts from the earliest colonial days to replicate "high-class wares" in Australia, but locally-made colonial Australian materials are virtually all (unless Mary Casey or someone else cares to correct me) red, buff, yellowish and brown-bodied earthenware or stoneware.  There is no tradition of colonial industrial production of whiteware in Australia.

And believe me, my past experience on 19th-century sites in Wales, and the 19th-century Cambridgeshire stuff  I'm currently looking at, amply demonstrates, British potteries are perfectly capable of both producing "something so crude" and keeping it for the home market.

The real surprise isn't that a British pottery made something that our modern value judgements find to be so ugly, but rather that something so ugly was shipped to Australia.  Australia was, relatively speaking, an extremely wealthy market, and there's clear documentary and archaeological evidence that much of the materials shipped to Australia were considered high end.  Australia was by no means a 'forlorn colony'; after the gold rushes began in the early 1850s, it was one of the wealthiest places on the planet (though, as Penny Crook would remind us if she were reading this, there are still clear differences in quality in and between Australian ceramics assemblages to the extent that considerations of vessel quality can be analytically meaningful in Australia).

Alasdair

*At the risk of seeming to insert a shameless plug, my book "An Archaeological Guide to British Ceramics in Australia, 1788-1901" features a further - albeit brief - discussion of the topic.