HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 15:50:45 -0400
I found a couple of Confederate military buttons (one Georgia and one South Carolina) in the remains of a Gullah house on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (Frazier Cabin) that dated to the last decade on the 19th to first decade of the 20th. There were numerous buttons of different types found in the house, and they were interpreted as curated buttons retained by someone in the home for future use. Buttons continue to be useful after the garment they were attached to has rotted away, and it is no surprise that they would be curated and used over and over again.

Pat Garrow