Reply To:
Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 15:50:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I found a couple of Confederate military buttons (one Georgia and one South Carolina) in the remains of a Gullah house on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (Frazier Cabin) that dated to the last decade on the 19th to first decade of the 20th. There were numerous buttons of different types found in the house, and they were interpreted as curated buttons retained by someone in the home for future use. Buttons continue to be useful after the garment they were attached to has rotted away, and it is no surprise that they would be curated and used over and over again.

Pat Garrow

-----Original Message-----
>From: Tim Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
>Sent: Sep 6, 2013 9:12 AM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Military Button
>
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have information on recovery of single (or small quantities) of military buttons at farmstead sites (especially in the Midwest US)?  We recovered a mid 19th century officer's infantry button at the Warner site in Brighton, MI.  The back is stamped "Superior Quality".  The button was found below the existing clothesline and evidence suggests that a clothesline was located in the same area during earlier times.  Over three hundred buttons have been recovered at Warner from the excavation of 4400 sq ft but only one attributed to military use.  Extensive genealogical research suggests that none of the Warner's served in the military until WWI.  Other pioneer sites in MI have also yielded single military buttons (Cater in Midland Co, Waterous in Grand Blanc, Van Hoosen in Rochester).  The Edison house in Port Huron also yielded a quantity of military (around 21 I believe) but it was occupied by military personnel for a time.   I've found quite a bit of information on 
 t
> he buttons from books by Warren Tice & Alphaeus Albert but what I am trying to figure out is why just a single military button is found at these sites, in some cases with no direct link between the occupants and military service.  Are they momentos, part of surplus clothing that was sold after the Civil War, clothing worn by itinerant laborers, etc?  Any ideas appreciated.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Tim Bennett
>Warner Site

ATOM RSS1 RSS2