HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margo Schwadron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 11:47:53 -0400
A colleauge of mine is working on his Master's Degree Thesis, involving =
the interpretation of a late 19th century, early 20th century structure. =
He has concluded that this structure, located on a low-country =
plantation site, was a cotton gin.

We have conducted searches in the National Archeological Database, =
University Libraries and through other bibliographic sources. We have =
also contacted some SHPO's for possible leads.=20

Does anyone have any information about cotton gins which have been the =
subject of an archeological investigation? Or, could this structure be =
the only cotton gin that has been excavated and studied?

We appreciate the dedication that HISTARCH subscribers have to sharing =
their knowledge and providing a forum for helping researchers. Thanks!

Margo Schwadron
Marc Tiemmann