HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"April M. Beisaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:46:59 -0700
Maureen,

Skinning would have resulted in a disarticulation of
the "feet" or cut marks at the distal ends of the
tibia and ulna/radius.

Burial often involves the entire animal or, in the
case of ritual burial, certain elements.  An animal
missing the chest cavity alone sounds more like a
carnivore kill that subsequently became buried.
Carnivores often go for the organs of small animals,
consuming and fragmenting the ribs and transporting
the vertebrae away from the main carcass.

-April

April M. Beisaw, RPA
Zooarchaeology and Taphonomy Consulting
http://www.taphonomy.com