HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:24 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Janice and other interested parties

a couple of additional comments.  There was a sidebar on pets in the West Oakland report that the Praetzellis' did (citation below), which is clearly not a farmstead setting but does fall into the time frame you are interested in.  I also ran across a bunch of work done by historians on the history of pets in a variety of contexts when I was doing some work that was kind of related to this topic (animals in privies) a couple of years back.   One of particular note was the book by Harriet Ritvo  The Animal Estate (1987 Harvard University Press).  Might be worth a look as she goes into some lengthy discussions on the changes in people's perceptions of animials and the development of people thinking of animals as 'pets'

best,

Mark Warner

SOLARI, ELAINE-MARYSE

2004 Pets. In Putting the "There" There: Historical Archaeologies of West Oakland. Anthropological Studies Center I-880 Cypress Freeway Replacement Project Interpretive Report, No. 2, Mary Praetzellis and Adrian Praetzellis, editors, pp. 192-195. Report to California Department of Transportation, District 4, Oakland, from the Anthropological Studies Center, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA.

Sent: Wed 1/16/2013 1:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pet Burials

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my plea for help regarding pet burials.  It seems this is a topic of interest to many people, but would appear to be very under-researched.  There is definitely scope for a publication in this topic for someone!  If anyone is researching this in future, a respondent mentioned what was turned out to be a very useful paper by Richard Thomas 2009"Perceptions Versus Reality: Changing Attitudes Towards Pets in Medieval and Post-medieval England" In Just Skin and Bones? New Perspectives on Human-Animal Relations in the Historic Past.  BAR International Series 1410, edited by A. Plukowski, 95-105. Oxford: Archaeopress addressed issues such as defining pets.  This paper is available on academia.edu.  Thanks to Craig Cessford for that reference, amongst others.
Regards, Janice

ATOM RSS1 RSS2