HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 06:46:13 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Anne Stolla <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>A question on the subject of building materials --- I've just returned from a
>short visit to France where spent most of my time focused on palaeolithic caves
>and stone tools.  Naturally I spent alot of time looking at wonderful objects
>made from what the French call "silex."  Having the image of silex handaxes
>still fresh in mind, I also visited the English town of Canterbury and was
>surprised to find there original walls faced with what looked for all the world
>like debitage. I was told they call these walls "flints."  They are attractive,
>a mottled charcoal grey or black and quite sharp to touch---I imagine nasty to
>climb.  Is someone out there familiar with flint wall construction?  Please
>forgive my California-born ignorance -- are there such structures in the U.S.?
>Couldn't help wondering if the flints used might have--inadvertantly?--included
>prehistoric flint artifacts.  Any known cases of this?

In Britain, flint is used as a building material in areas poor in other
stone.  It is typically used with brick quoins, window cills, etc, as it
cannot be given a straight face.  Sometimes the infilling is a pattern
with brick.  the glistening dark grey/black of the flint face, contrasts
beautifully (to my eye) with the dull dark or bright red of the brick.

Best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)