HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:30:00 EST
Listmates--I've been analyzing ceramics from Fort Johnson, on Charleston
Harbor (South Carolina) recently. The situation basically is that FJ has been
occupied since the early 18th century. During the Civil War it was built up
with earthen fortifications, which were subsequently leveled. In addition
later development spread artifacts far and wide.

One of the main occupations that we excavated was free African-American
squatters' settlement that seems to have been in place from about 1865--1906.
The ceramic collection is varied, and consists both of purchased wares and
"laterally recycled" pieces (how's that for jargon Ned Heite?) that were in
active use, and sherds from dozens of vessels that were probably used at other
loci (unless somehow a few lead glazed slipware vessels survived into the late
19th c....). So the problem is sorting out the later pieces from the earlier.

My question is, has anyone looked into the color palettes used on 19th century
refined industrial earthenwares in any detail, and is the information
accesible? I'm sure that we can all look at a mid 19th century polychrome hand
painted vessel and separate it from an early example, but has anyone
quantified this? Illustrated the palettes in color on a web site? In this I am
asking about not just hand painted wares, but the various permutations of
annular wares---mocha, finger painted, etc. Any input will be appreciated.

Second question, I have been doing vesselization (starting with undecorated
"whiteware") and wonder if anyone has developed typologies for rim and base
form, body shape, and other characteristics? I have been making up my own as I
go, but why reinvent the wheel? Any ideas?

For more background see our web site
  HTTP://www.encore-net.com/diachronic
(photos of whiteware are in the current research section). Any help will be
appreciated.

Also, I have recently added a paper on excavations at John de la Howe's Lethe
Farm site that may be of interest. I transcribed his estate (will) inventory,
estate sale, will, and included those just for fun. They make fascinating
reading  (for weird people like me, anyway). Why, for instance, would cows,
pigs, and a cat be included in an inventory of the items in the main house
dining room?  Comments are welcome.