HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 21:48:34 EDT
If Bill Adams can deign to write an introduction, I guess I can too.  My name
is Tom Wheaton, and I am an ex-Peace Corps Volunteer and vice president of
New South Associates, a consulting firm conducting all phases of cultural
resource projects in the southeast and Caribbean.  We have offices in
Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.  We pride ourselves on being more
research oriented than the normal CRM firm. Rather than a strict hierarchy
with one overbearing person in charge (the norm in the southeast), we are a
community of peers who are expected to find, win, conduct and be responsible
for projects without interference from the rest of the firm.

My speciality (after receiving my master's in mesoamerican archaeology) is
historical archaeology with an emphasis on plantation studies,
African-American archaeology, urban archaeology, early industrial
archaeology, the management of large databases and the illustration of
archaeological data using micro computers.  I am also editor of the
African-American Archaeology Newsletter and am responsible for the recent
thread on whether non-African Americans can and should study African-American
sites.  I am also the liaison between SHA and the African-American
Archaeology network.

For relaxation (?) I am active in Habitat for Humanity, and recommend that
everyone volunteer in the community.  It helps to make up for the totally
useless career we have.