HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 13:58:48 -0600
It's the damper/valve that selects whether the fan pulls fresh air into
the car directly (from the exterior, thru the filter which was affixed
to the face of the box) or whether it was directed/diverted through the
heater core. The control-arm was actuated by a stiff-steel-wire that
passed thru a wound-wire-sheath to the damper arm on the side of the box
(which isn't shown), attached to the slide-control on the dash. I'm sure
some of you are old enough to have driven in such cars of the
1950s-1960s when such systems were universal ... but the same system is
still pretty-much identical in modern cars (except the damper is
controlled by pneumatic actuators under control of your car's computer,
rather than having the direct control through your brain-to-hand action
*hee*hee*)