HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:33:09 -0700
Friends and colleagues: The tragic 2003 looting of the Iraq Museum in Baghdad should remind us all of the importance of cultural patrimony and the need to deter the plunder of institutions and sites everywhere.  No better spokesman for this message can be found than Dr. Donny George, who relates his first-hand experience in The Looting of the Iraq Museum: An Interview with Donny George, the latest video feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology Channel (http://www.archaeologychannel.org  ).

Dr. Donny George, former Director-General of Iraqi Museums, and Keynote Speaker at The Archaeology Channel International Film and Video Festival in May 2008, has been recalling for worldwide audiences the events of April 2003, when his Iraq Museum was badly vandalized after American forces entered Baghdad.  In this interview, Dr. George recounts how he and his staff tried to protect the Museum and how they felt when their efforts failed.  He describes the damage inflicted there as well as to other Iraqi cultural heritage institutions and sites and emphasizes the importance of these events to all of humanity.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested and let us know if you wish to be removed from our mailing list.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crossword puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212