HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Williams, Emily" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 15:48:22 -0400
Marty,
I think that the CD that Suzanne mentions will be less help to you, as
it sounds like many of your artifacts are not archaeologically
recovered, than some of the general collections care manuals that are
out there.  One of my favorites is "Conservation and Care of
Collections" edited by David Gilroy and Ian Godfrey (1998).  It is
published by The Western Australian Museum but can be purchased easily
in the US.  It covers a wide range of materials used in the creation of
social history and decorative arts objects.   Others that are good are
"Caring for your Family Treasures" which is published by Heritage
Preservation and Caring for your Collections published by the National
Committee to Save America's Cultural Collections.  University products
(www.universityproducts.com ) carries a wide range of these sorts of
manuals (as well as many of the materials you might need to ensure the
preservation of your collections.  The best techniques are preventive
ones which it sounds like you are already utilizing.  Linseed oil is
never recommended as it has a tendency to crosslink and blacken over
time.  If you have further questions please contact me off-list and I
would be happy to help or to try to put you in touch with some
conservators who might be able to.

With regards to the CD that Suzanne mentioned, the content should be
available through the SHA website (rather than the AIC one) in the next
several months.

Emily Williams