HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Rotenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:55:55 -0400
(Sorry for the x-posts!)

<http://www.city-net.com/~davidsr/relics/>

or for those without Netscape 3.0 <http://www.city-net.com/~davidsr/relics/relics.htm>

Tha abstract for the paper reads:

ABSTRACT

     Relic collecting, as presented within this paper, is examined as a folk behavior. Individuals
outside of the professional realm of archaeology who collect and curate aboriginal artifacts
recovered from archaeological contexts in their homes historically have been problematic points of
contention for professionals. Many studies of amateur archaeologists have been conducted in the
past, yet none has viewed the behavior of relic collecting as traditional and culturally influenced.
By neglecting the cultural and historical aspects of collecting, we as professional archaeologists
in our attempts to preserve archaeological resources    have only been treating the symptoms of a
larger cultural disease.

David Rotenstein
David S. Rotenstein, Ph.D.
E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]