HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
bartoy kevin m <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:22:04 -0500
Dear colleagues-

Along with being a member of this list, I am also a member of the ARCH-L
listserv. I have noticed quite a difference between the topics and
discussion on the two lists. Of course, many of the historical
archaeologists on this list probably don't have to deal with NAGPRA, etc,
but I know that some of us do or at least have opinions on it. What I
have noticed is that many of the ARCH-L subscribers still cling
whole-heartedly to the idea that archaeology is a science and with the
help of objectivity, we can rise above our bias.

I wondered if it was just the result of my hist. arch. background
(McGuire, Leone, etc.) that I, and seemingly many of the subscribers on
this list, seem to greatly question such an un-self-critical viewpoint.

La lucha continua,
Kevin M. Bartoy.