HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:47:09 -0500
        Kevin Bartoy writes:

        -why should archaeological resources be preserved "for the public"?

        Because the public, through its elected representatives, has
mandated their protection.

        -what motivates individuals to break the law?

        Take your pick: drugs, addiction, money, politics, civil
disobedience, and, of course, blind self-interest.

        -Why would someone risk fines and (highly unlikely) imprisonment for
a piece of worthless garbage such as a banged up piece of lead?

        You tell me. The law doesn't care. Why not ask why people drive
drunk?

        -When we ... as archaeologists, historians, etc. ... say that we
need to
        preserve public heritage ... how often does that really mean that we
need to preserve our own necks? How often are the "Public" involved in
projects prior to their inception? How often do the interests of the
"Public" come before that of the researcher? We often speak in terms of
being "stewards" of heritage resources ... what does this truly mean? Why
are we the "stewards"? Why and how do our standards and interests of
research become the public standards and interests?

        Academicians and researchers are advocates for the resources. The
federal land managers, the SHPOs, the ACHP, the National Trust, etc. are the
stewards (and don't forget the park rangers). With public trust properties
the public's interest always should come first - no that it always does. As
to how professional standards become public standards, they develop through
education of the public to our interests. Finally, as to the "meaning" of
the past, I don't think anyone has developed such a robust hermeneutic as to
scratch the surface.

        John Dendy