HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Your Real Name <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:01:07 -0500
>In a message dated 97-03-27 15:20:13 EST, John Cornelison wrote:
>
><<  Tradition states that liquor and other sprits are often bottled in dark
> colored glass containers to prevent the break down of the       alcohol. >>
>
>I don't know if that is true however, I do know that some alcoholic beverages
>(for example early Anheiser Busch beers-late 19thc) were bottled in aqua
>glass bottles.
>
>Erica Gibson
>Sonoma State University
>
>Erica--

It is actually true that light affects the taste of bottled alcoholic
beverages (especially beer), but it is not the result of a process that
affects the alcohol molecule.  Rather, it is a complex interaction of light,
yeast, hops and various other ingredients added for various flavors.  Beer
that has been ruined by exposure to light is referred to as "light-struck".

Dan Pratt
Panamerican Consultants, Inc.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama