HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:00:45 -0500
Marty,

That's a good description of how this floor at my site in Richmond was
probably set. It was clearly poured and then generally levelled--perhaps
with a screed. In some places  near one end it had been patched at some
point and trowelled. It was certainly treated much as we would treat
concrete today, but clay was the major constituent--some small amount of
small sand and enough lime to make it all perk in weak HCL.

Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm