HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 17:20:38 +1000
                      Historical Archaeology in Australia
in Australia.

Historical archaeology is generally held to have begun with three
individuals' work, Judy Birmingham's work at Wybalena (Flinders island) and
at Irrawang (Hunter Valley NSW), Bill Culican's work at Fossil Beach
(Melbourne, Victoria) and Jim Allens work at Port Essington (Northern
Territory) all were conducted in the late 1960's.

The 1970's were the period in which historical archaeology established
itself particularlly around the work of Judy Birmingham at Sydney
University. There were a large number of projects and numerous talented
students. The 80's saw the establishment of historical archaeology in other
states and the undertaking of large urban excavations in almost every state
capital city. The ASHA Journal was first published in 1983 and provided an
outlet for publication of historical archaeological work in Australia and
New Zealand. The annual AHSA conferences also helped focus the discipline
and provided some unique memories. Much of the work done up to about 1988 is
dicusssed in Grahame Connah's book The Archaeology of Australia's History
recently reprinted by Cambridge University Press.

Historical Archaeology is taught at the University of Sydney, University of
New England (both in New South Wales), Flinders University in South
Australia and at La Trobe University in Victoria. Post-Grad students have
also studied at the University of Western Australia and at The Australian
National University. Virtually every State government has historical
archaeologists on there staff as cultural resource managers. There is also a
flourishing consulting scene. The degree structure is a bit different from
that of the USA with a honours year (4th year) thesis required on an
independant research project of up to 25,000 words. Quite significant pieces
of research have been done by honours students. Ph. D's. are still fairly
sparse on the ground. A recent article in the ASHA journal listed theses
completed at Sydney University.

Recent visitors to our shores have included Mark Leone who liked the Hunter
Valley red wines, Mary Beaudry who was jet lagged and Bob Schyler who liked
my cat!

There is little practical separation between industrial archaeology and
historical archaeology and strong links with maritime archaeology. There are
also several individuals working on contact sites, more properlly called
Aboriginal historical sites.

As we move into the 90's the Historical Archaeology scene looks reasonably
interesting especially as a number of  Ph. D. projects have begun, several
by senior archaeologists from outside the academic circle. We still have to
battle for our own position principally against historian suspicious of our
worth and prehistorians convinced that if it is written down then it's not
archaeology.

I can send further information such as bibilographies if required.

My colleagues Claire and Kylie have read this and think that I am glossing
over numerous problems and frustrations we all have with historical
archaeology in Australia. Yes there are problems particularlly as the scene
here is very small and research poorly funded but it's been interesting
enough for me to maintain a career and interest for the last 10 years.

Yours

Iain Stuart
P.H.A.
University of Sydney