HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:50:26 -0400
      Silas Hurry’s comments about people thinking that the report on the

eighteenth-century ceramics from Michilimackinac was written by Garry Stone

and George Miller when it was written by J. Jefferson Miller and Lyle Stone

brought back memories of my first encounter with Marley Brown who I did not

know at the time.  I was attending the SHA meetings in 1974 when Marley

came up to me and began ragging on me for a review of the 1972 Winterthur

Conference publication Ceramics in America.  The review had been written by

J. Jefferson Miller and published in Historical Archaeology (Volume

VII:85-87).  Marley assumed that I had written the review and had assumed

that Miller and Stone working in St. Mary’s City were the same as Miller

and Stone of the Michilimackinac monograph.  Jeff Miller took quite a slice

at Deetz’s Plymouth plantation article, and it is still a good read.

      Given the comments on my 1984 paper with Catherine Sullivan

“Machine-made Glass Containers and the end of Mouth-Blown Bottles” I may

need to rethink my approach and title my next paper “Tropic of Owens."

Peace,

George L. Miller

URS Corporation

437 High Street

Burlington, New Jersey 08016

 This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this

message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,

distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy

the e-mail and any attachments or copies.