HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lynda Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:27:36 -0400
I have been trying to organize a session for next year's SHA Conference,
entitled "Commodities in Global Perspective."  Essentially, my interest
and rationale behind organizing this session is stemming from a "Global
Historical Archaeology" and an interest in the global nature of
commodities trade, political economy, and a wide variety of other related
issues. A tentative abstract (to be better defined when all abstracts are
in) is also below.

Any interested parties can contact me privately at [log in to unmask]
There is still over a month before a session packet is due.

Sincerely,
Lynda Carroll

***************************

Proposed session for the 1998 SHA:
"Commodities in Global Perspective"

        In the past few years, the emergence of a global historical
archaeology has expanded our understandings of modernity and of the modern
era. One of the uniting principles behind a global
historical archaeology--or an archaeology of world capitalism--
is the commodification of material
culture on both global and local scales of analysis. The roles of
commodities are especially important for considering: the roles that
commodities play in shaping a global political economy; the growth of a
world system and a world market economy; and the individual's
use of "things" as a part of these processes. This session will
specifically examine how commodities can help bring greater understanding
to an historical archaeology which is truly global in nature.

Lynda Carroll
Department of Anthropology
Binghamton University, SUNY
Binghamton, New York 13902-6000