HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brian Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:54:29 -0500
I'd appreciate any suggestions (or references) on how to go about dating
a doll's head which came out of a shovel test hole over the weekend.  The
site itself (in southern Greenville County, SC) reportedly dates to the
1830s,
but, aside from three pieces from jugs, there is as yet little material
from the
19th century.

It is a bisque doll's head, about one inch long, with wavy hair.  The hair
itself is tinted yellow.  The head is broken off at the neck, so the head
is
all we have.  I assume the neck itself would have been sewn onto a stuffed
cloth body.

You may wish to respond to me directly at <[log in to unmask]>.

Many thanks,

Brian Siegel