HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SK Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:16:49 -0400
I am working on a large (9000+ burial project which involves skeletal and
partially decomposed remains from 1950's-80's.  Currently I am utilizing
masks and gloves.  Today the manager for the project requested that I
substanciate through documentation my reasons for the precautions. They feel
that the risk is so negligible that such precautions are not warrented. Some
of these burials have cause of death listed as TB and a few were listed as
diptheria.  Histo and blasto are high in this region (in the soil) according
to the state epidemiologist......but he couldnt offer advice other than "I
wouldn't exhume burials without those basic precautions"......he also said
that what would worry him is anthrax.....but still that doesnt help my
situation. So if anyone out there can help,  I would be greatly appreciative.
  I have information on Spitalfields (ie lead and smallpox) and I have the
CRM (feds)issue on arsenic contamination.   I do not have anything on
chemicals used for this time period.
SK Parker