HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:15:07 -0500
Oh, yes! Doesn't anyone remember ""Flav-r-Straws"? They were paper with
a flexible neck and a strip of cardboard down the inside impregnated
with flavoring for your milk. I remember then as ca. 1960.

Marty Pickands

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/07/06 10:03 PM >>>
I don't have much memory of plastic straws...since I didn't grow up
(and
still don't) drinking sodas...or drinks from fast food establishments.
But...I seem to remember using flexi-straws (bendible) - and that
would
mean plastic - no? ...as a kid (1960s)...when we were sick...and mom
used them to make it easier for us to drink. ???  I remember the straw
box with a clown face on it, even...but, those may have been the waxed
paper ones. ??  I bet she still has it in her drawer!

Did you know...  In 1888, Marvin Stone patented the spiral winding
process to manufacture the first paper drinking straws.  ?

Otherwise, I'm coming up empty-handed searching online (even tho Sarah
didn't want an online source) for development of plastic straws.

Just called my mom, and Yep...the box of straws is in the drawer I
remember (16 of the original 40 remain).  It is 'Scoopy Plastic
Flexible
Straws,' with Scoopy the Safe-T-Cone Clown...and there's even the
dates
of 1965-1973 on the box.
But...here's a webpage about them (more or less). Ha!
http://scoopy.anastrophe.com/

And here's a box, from 1963, selling on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-1963-Scoopys-Tuff-Tip-Flexible-STRAWS_W0QQite

mZ6610609597

Yet in 1957...the Scoopy brand staws were paper - with a colored
stripe
(different colors per pack):
http://www.antiqnet.com/detail,vintage-advertising-paper,672919.html

Boy...that takes me down memory lane.  :o)

Yes...I know...I get a bit off the track.  But, at least Sarah knows
the
transition from paper to plastic straws was some where between 1957
and
1963...probably. ???  Oh wait, the ebay straw box doesn't show the
word
'plastic' tho... ??  Would paper straws flexi-bend tho?