HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Burgess, Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:06:53 -0400
I've been wondering if Karlis himself was going to weigh in, but I still
use Kidd and Kidd (1974), as expanded by Karklins (1985) very heavily.
However, the color attributions given by Kidd and Kidd are primarily
helpful for early bead collections.  For late eighteenth and nineteenth
century assemblages, where the number of colors and varieties starts to
expand rapidly, the Kidd and Kidd colors just aren't as relevant.  I am
lucky enough to have Munsell books handy but am intrigued by the online
conversions posted yesterday by Silas Hurry and others.

I advocate classifying beads using both 1) Kidd and Kidd codes (with or
w/o color attribution depending on the time period), in conjunction with
the Karklins 1985 publication, and 2) using Lester Ross's descriptive
terms used in his 1990 Fort Vancouver publication and in his 2000 Fort
Union publication (available as a cd).

The Kidd and Kidd codes are handy identifiers and combining them with
descriptive terms as used by Ross allows you to classify beads from just
about any time period.

These four publications form the backbone of bead research for me and
are an excellent place for anyone to start:

Karklins, Karlis
1985	Guide to the Description and Classification of Glass Beads.  In,
Glass Beads, 2nd edition, pp. 85-118.  Studies in Archaeology,
Architecture and History, Parks Canada, Ottawa.

Kidd, Kenneth E. And Martha A. Kidd
1970	A Classification System for Glass Beads for the Use of Field
Archaeologists.  Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in
Archaeology and History 1:45-89.

Ross, Lester
1990 Trade Beads from Hudson's Bay Company Fort Vancouver (1829-1860),
Vancouver, Washington.  Beads 2:29-67

2000	Trade Beads from Archeological Excavations at Fort Union Trading
Post National Historic Site.  National Park Service, Midwest
Archeological Center and the Fort Union Association.

Laurie Burgess

Associate Chair
Department of Anthropology
National Museum of Natural History